ABOUT POLLUTION PROBE
Pollution Probe is a Canadian non-profit charitable organization that works in partnership with all sectors of society to protect health by promoting clean air and clean water. Its approach is to define environmental problems through research, to promote understanding through education and to press for practical solutions through advocacy. Its objective is to advance public policy that results in positive and tangible environmental change.
Over its 40-plus year history, Pollution Probe has produced results improving the quality of for the Canadian public.
The following is a brief summary of results related to transportation during the past 15 years:
- Motor Vehicle Fuel Consumption Standards in Canada. Pollution Probe has been instrumental in achieving legislation for regulating fuel consumption levels in new vehicles sold in Canada (new regulations announced April 2010).
Mandatory Vehicle Emissions Testing in Ontario. Instrumental in the passage of Ontario legislation leading to establishment of the Drive Clean program.
- Annual Clean Air Commute upon which the national commuter challenge has been based.
- Significant voice in favour of stringent sulphur-in-fuel regulations and tax deductions for transit passes.
- SMART Movement Programme which helped form the basis of the Smart Commute Association.
- Electric Mobility Master Plan for Toronto. Pollution Probe analyzed the potential impact that electric vehicle (EV) use could have on Toronto’s electricity grid and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Launched the Electric Mobility Adoption and Prediction (EMAP) project in June 2011 to map the locations of early EV-adopter communities in Toronto and assess the EV-readiness of the local power services in those areas.
- Initiated the Electric Vehicle Analysis (EVAN) project to measure the differences in energy use, emissions, and financial costs and savings between conventional in-service vehicles and their EV alternatives.
- Released the Primer on Energy Systems in Canada to educate Canadians about important energy, environmental and economic issues.
- Participated in the development of the Comprehensive Air Management System (CAMS), a national framework on air emissions.
To learn more about Pollution Probe visit www.pollutionprobe.org.